Monday, November 29, 2010

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 4: Weekly Updates

My lifestyle change goal this week was to take the bus to and from the UMD campus 4 times per week.

I once again met my goal! I have ton say I am quite proud of myself. Taking the bus is quite easy and not as inconvenient as I thought it would be. Nothing disastrous has happened yet; I haven't missed my bus or gotten on the wrong bus. All has gone according to plan.

I have continued with my strategies of getting up 10 minutes earlier so I can make my bus on time and I also have been planning ahead so I do not plan anything directly after school. Therefore, I am able to take the bus.

One challenge has been the weather; it is really quite miserable to wait out in the rain. I am always tempted to walk back and get in my nice warm car. One thing I can do to offset this nasty weather is dress properly. I think it maybe time for me to finally break out my winter coat, hats and mittens.

It may sound funny but I am learning how to ride the bus. The first time I rode the bus I didn't know the route at all or even signal how to get off. Luckily the first couple times of taking the bus others had to get off at my stop. I am now becoming more confident when riding the bus. It may sound silly but it is true. One thing I love is how much gas I am actually saving! I haven't had to fill up my gas take in 2 weeks. I can really notice the amount of gas and money that I am saving; it is just fantastic!

My plan for me this week coming week is to take the bus to and from the UMD campus 5 days per week.

This coming week may prove to be a real challenge because I will try not to be tempted to drive to school at all. Hopefully, my schedule isn't to hectic.

Blogged for Amyintherain@blogspot.com

7 comments:

  1. I hope that you succeed with your new goal!!! I think that anyone who lives so close to the bus line should take advantage of the free bus, and ride it as much as possible. It's a win-win situation. Plus, you don't have to get up EXTRA early to warm your car up and scrap off all of the ice and snow so that you can make it to school on time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that you are stepping up your goal even further! It's awesome that you have saved so much money on gas too. I have never been on the bus; I've always wondered how you signal to get off. Is there a button you push?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm really proud of you and happy that you are enjoying this goal. See, the bus isn't so bad. It's true how much money you will save from not having to pay for gas. You are actually pretty lucky that the bus isn't so packed as it was last year other wise it would've been a negative experience. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, you have a really hard goal to get into the habit of! I agree, this weather is hard too because we not only don't want to stand outside in the cold, but we also are more likely to be lazy and not get up and ready as eagerly. That's great you are noticing the save on gas, too! Good luck next week, just think if you get cold standing outside, you will have to uncover snow and ice off your car and warm it up anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, let's hear it for Sarah! Woot-woot, haha! That's great to hear that you are able to take the bus. As I mentioned before, it does get a lot easier. I feel increasing your goal will be a good challenge and I would think it would almost be easier riding every day so you don't have to think about what day it is and if you had decided to ride the bus that day, instead you can just wake up, get ready, and head down to the bus-stop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on achieving your goal this week! Getting so many benefits from your SMART goal makes it much easier and fun to obtain each week. Knowing you're saving gas, money and helping the environment by being one less car on the road. Its good that you're getting into the hang of taking the bus and feeling more comfortable with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your goal! Is it getting easier? It seems like it since you keep upping your goal, which is great! I wish I had the opportunity to take the bus to school but I work right up until class off campus and don't have time to make it home to take the bus so I have to drive! Maybe sometime in the future it will work out for me!

    ReplyDelete