Monday, November 29, 2010

Reflection Weeks 9-12

In these past 2 weeks I have made some major changes in my life. In week 9 we started our eco-chic lifestyle and have been working on them ever since. I have learned that if I actually put effort towards my goal, it really wasnt that difficult. The biggest challenge for me would prove to be my own laziness. Once I planned ahead I could over come my laziness.

Also, during these past 2 weeks we have been working on our advocacy project. I choose a topic I felt passionately about. We have learned how to contact our congressman in the hopes to persuade them to vote in an environmentally friendly way. I thought it was really cool h0w we could look any bill that was be proposed to congress. I never new that you could do that! We also learned how to write an issue overview, which I thought is a real helpful tool. It really allows you to break down the bill and better understand the issue.

We also started looking more in depth of where our stuff comes from and we were introduced more to our junking projects. We looked more in depth at consumerism. What really shocked me came from the "Story of Stuff" video. I couldn't believe that 99% of the products we buy will not be used 6 months later. I couldn't believe how wasteful our society is. This really affected me when I went shopping for Christmas presents. I am now really careful to buy only quality products that I know for sure will get a lot of use. I am avoiding buying any "filler" gifts. Basically I am no longer buying things just because they are on sale.

I have learned quite a lot these past two weeks and all of this new knowledge this really changing my lifestyle.

6 comments:

  1. I missed the day we watched Story of Stuff, and now I'm bummed out that you brought up how you were shocked by it. Laziness is definitely an issue when you are trying to change a lifestyle, but don't think of it as laziness, think of it as not adjusting to a lifestyle change. Once it becomes a habit laziness goes right out the window!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the "Story of Stuff" video was really eye opening too. It's really sad to think that 99% of our stuff is thrown out within 6 months of buying it. I think watching videos like that and doing our junking projects really help us realize that we can be a lot less wasteful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always hard to realize something about yourself, especially if it's something you felt you had no problem with! But once you do realize your weaknesses it's easier to look into why you do certain things and from that alter your motive and/or your behavior! So, way to go on identifying how you would like to change and what obstacles are preventing that from happening! This makes me think about advocating and, to an extent, when we want to alter a behavior of our own we could go through the list of questions Dr. V. gave us and answer them according to our situation so we can see how what we do is impacting others, ourselves, and our environment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now days, I hold myself back from store sales too. Just because they are cheap doesn't mean that I have to buy them. They do just end up creating more junk for me to throw out. The eco-chic eye opener was also a big impact on all of us. I'm glad you are able to find the motivation to achieve your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also very surprised how much of the stuff we buy just goes to waste! It made me really think about the things I buy and how I can make them last. I have a problem with buying things just because they are on sale too, I don't necessarily need them but it turns into an impulse buy. Its something I definitely need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes have the same problem, and buy things just because they're on sale. But it is actually very pointless, because a lot of the products don't last very long. When I buy things now, I try to make sure it is something that I can use for years and years, such as clothing that I know I won't get sick of, or a Nalgene that I can use for as long as I can make it last

    ReplyDelete