Sunday, November 28, 2010

Eye Opener: Photo Essay




TURNING BLACK INTO GREEN:

It is a Thanksgiving tradition for my mother and I to start of Christmas shopping on Black Friday. As we were wondering around at 5am Friday morning, I took pictures of some eco-friendly gift ideas. I also made our shopping trip as green as possible by walking from store to store instead of driving and my mom and I used every reusable bag we could find in our house instead of plastic ones.


This is basket made of recycled bottle caps.

This is bag that was crafted from recycled wrappers.

Barnes & Noble had an adorable selection of school supplies made of recycled material.

Getting coffee from a Coffee Shop maybe part of a daily ritual for many. A gift idea is reusable coffee cups.
My mom and I had used all of our reusable bags up after a few hours so unfortunately we had to use a few plastic ones.


One of our many reusable bags on Black Friday.

Another gift idea maybe a reusable water cup or water bottle instead of letting a person buy a bottle of water.
Finally, one easy a quick way to holiday shopping is buy going online. You still can get good deals on products and you do not have to use gas to drive to the store in hunt of the perfect gift. Also, instead of getting the paper to look at all the ads you can just look them up on the internet and save some paper!

We have been learning a lot about consumerism and how a lot of it is wasteful. This Holiday season I am vowing to buy less and buy higher quality products. Black Friday is notorious for its uber cheap deals on toys, video games, movies, etc. When I was shopping all I could think about was the cost of the products. Who is ACTUALLY paying for me to get this movie for $3.99? I found myself steering clear of products I may have once been attracted to. I focused on what I only really wanted to buy for my friends and family. Hopefully, by paying more attention to what I am buying this holiday season I am contributing less junk to the world.

6 comments:

  1. The online shopping is a great idea! It's actually Online Monday today which is kind of like Black Friday when it comes to the deals! I also think the coffee cups are a great idea. So many people I know constantly are buying coffee and they would save a lot of waste if they used reusable cups instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun project to look through. That's really awesome that this class has impacted the way you shop. I did the same thing when I was walking through a store last week and when my sisters were excited about how many things were discounted I informed them that someone has to 'pay' for it somewhere and I could tell that it really made them think. Good job at resisting cheap products, I know that old habits die hard so it probably wasn't the easiest thing to walk away, especially on Black Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the things from Barnes and Noble, they have neat ideas and always have eco-friendly things available. Online shopping is a good idea for those who don't have to drive, but someone else has to use gas to drive the item to the person who bought it, the best way would probably be to walk or take the bus to a local store and support local business as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though buying new items contributes to waste and energy consumption, at least you shopped in the least wasteful way you could. Reusable bags are KEY, because specially on a day like Black Friday, SOOOO many bags are thrown around, many of which end up in ditches and in the wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always forget to use my reusable bags. I need to put them in my car so I remember to use them when I shop! I really liked the eco-friendly gifts you found! The school supplies are really cute. My sister bought my brother-in-law one of those coffee cups and he LOVES it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the reusable items! They are so creative and pretty! The coffee reusable cups are cool! I think those should be free giveaways for college students to practice GREEN on campus!

    ReplyDelete